1. How has 2008 been for you so far, and can you unveil any of your
plans for the rest of the year - from solo projects to new songs, to
the direction of your next album
anything at all?
"It's been good
So far we've been recording new material
for a new album."
2. When The Coral first began, did you all have a common goal, and
what was it that you took from the artists / bands that you most admired?
"We were desperate to get into a studio and record. We mostly took
inspiration from Aswad."
3. Of all the records you own, which have you played the most?
"Catch A Fire - Bob Marley."
4. Has the evolution of your sound been something that you always knew
would happen, or has this been more of a natural progression?
"TNP - Total Natural Progression."
5. How has Bill's departure affected the way you write music / work
on ideas together?
"It's just one less Christmas Card."
6. The Coral have always been very song-based and I know there are lots
of songwriters that you all admire - but if you had to award one artist
or band with an Ivor Novello, who would it be?
"The Beta Band."
7. As a band, have you ever heard a song and thought, "We could've
they got there just before us?"
"Who Loves The Sun - The Velvet Underground."
8. Is there anybody that you would love to have a jam with?
"Michael Keaton circa Multiplicity."
9. The producer Greg Haver recently said, "Musicians and music
lovers have regained control, because people go out and will find music
rather than being told by a label, 'This is what you've got to listen
to and like.' Purer records are being made - the material is closer
to the artists' vision and better music is being made, because there
are less layers of interference within The Music Industry chain."
Would you agree with this?
"Yeah, but you also get the lazy fuckers with a ten grand computer
who unleash their shit Drum & Bass / Funk Fusion Music on the public,
so it's a double-edge sword really."
10. Is it correct that you've never been fans of how The Music Industry
11. At what point in your career, did you stop and think to yourself,
"We're starting to become a success"?
12. Has the band surpassed your expectations / what have been some
of your personal highlights over the years?
"Touring with Oasis, playing on Anfield and having a Number One
13. A couple of years ago, Radio 1's Zane Lowe ran a massive album
give-away competition, whereby listeners had to donate one of their
most cherished LPs (thus automatically entering themselves into the
contest), with one person eventually winning everything! But, which
record would you have contributed?
"Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets."
14. And if you were in a head-to-head DJ face-off contest, what would
be your killer track to ensure that you came out on top?
"The Yardbirds - Happenings Ten Years Time Ago."
15. The Coral have made some of my most favourite promo videos -
but to date, which one has been the most fun to make?
"Secret Kiss - I got to see John as an evil tranny."
16. With so many new bands constantly springing up, do you think
it would be a good thing if there were more mainstream music TV shows
dedicated to promoting young talent?
"Yes, there should be a live show that isn't censored."
17. What are the best and worst things about being on the road together?
"Best - you get to see your mates everyday. Worst - you get to
see your mates everyday."
18. When you do have some free time to yourself, how do you like to
"Tantric masturbation with The Police on in the background at a
19. In order to warm-up an audience before a group takes to the stage,
what songs should the ultimate pre-gig Mixtape have on it?
"Mother Sky by Can, In The Past by We The People, Draft Morning
by The Byrds etc. etc."
20. What would be your dream gig, if you could choose 1 headline band
and 2 support acts?
"Can, Cash, Sinatra."
21. Of all your recorded output to date, are there any major changes
that you would now make - musically or lyrically?
22. Will there ever be a Coral b-sides / rarities album?
23. What's the biggest lesson that your career has taught you?
"Never insult a muscley tranny."
24. If you had to place 5 Coral songs in a time-capsule for future
generations to hear, what would they be?
Don't Think You're The First
She Sings The Mourning
She's Got A Reason
25. Lastly, chips or cream buns?
A very special thanks to Nick, to The Coral's Tour
Manager John, to Holly @ SJM and to Rosey, for all of their time and
"And when it's done and all this is gone
Just find a feeling pass it on"