Manics on Mastermind
Here are the questions Katy Bennett, Mastermind contestant and one
time R*E*P*E*A*T Reader, faced in the hot seat on September 15th. She
scored 14 and lead the field, until the general knowledge round. However
if you've heard Richey's lyrics and seen Nicky grin, who cares who the
snooker champion was in 1982 (though doubtless The Wire would know!)?
Manics fans are bound to fail; all we love is lonely wreckage
Anyway, on with the quiz exactly as it was worded on the telly; your
two minutes starts HERE!!
1) What was the name of the group's co-manager and general benefactor
who let them live in his Shepherd's Bush home and died an early death
in December '93?
2) In August 1989, which single was released only as a self financed
limited pressing of 300 copies for distribution to journalists?
3) Which historical event inspired the group's first number one single,
"If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next"?
4) On which record label was their 'New Art Riot' ep released in 1990?
5) What was the stage name of the group's original guitarist replaced
by Richey Edwards at the end of 1989?
6) Which film and television theme did the group record for the NME
charity compilation 'Ruby Trax' in October 1992?
7) What was the title of The Manics single which topped the UK charts
in January 2000?
8) Which London hotel did Richey Edwards check out of before disappearing
in February '95 on the group's tour of the USA?
9) After which French film did the founder members consider calling
themselves before deciding on Manic Street Preachers?
10) Under what title was the Manic Street Preachers Greatest Hits album
released in 2002?
11) What was the title of the first Manic Street Preachers album released
after Edward's disappearance?
12) A quotation from which artist was included on the cover CD booklet
of the 'Everything Must Go' album?
13) Which former teenage porn star provided the backing vocals on "Little
Baby Nothing" on the 'Generation Terrorists' album?
14) Which track on the 'Holy Bible' album with lyrics by Richey Edwards
deals with the subject of anorexia?
15) Which fashionable record label did the group leave to join Sony
in May '91?
16) Which Bacharach song did the group record for the War Child charity
album 'Help' in September 1995?
Congratulations to Katy for getting 14 right, same as me; see all those
teenage hours writing to R*E*P*E*A*T weren't a waste of time. As she
said, "since I got into them at about 14, they've made me read
books I wouldn't have expected and have made me interested in politics,
well they planted suspicion of politics in my mind, and I've not come
across any other band that's done that."
Click here to